At what point in a friendship does hospitality give way to less formal preparation? Where is the line between hospitality and being real with who you are and how your house looks?
Sure...it says, I took the time to prepare for you. When there is a formal invitation, one expects the formal preparation, no matter how well one knows the guests.
Is there a time when you throw out the rules and say, "its not pretty, but come hang out."
I am who i am..........if my house is messy then that says.......i put you above my house....and had you over in spite of a possible public showing that I AM HUMAN.....If a house is perfect then somthing else is suffering for sure....My house is ready for company 100 percent of the time.....u came to see me not my kids toys on the floor,right? I try to always be real.......people will always have there judgements despite how much effort you put into anything......Of course I would strive to have my house clean for company.
Theres possible intimidation on arriving into a spotless home:
1: being afraid if you breathe wrong you will mess it up
2: theres the spill factor.....u should be able to spill and not feel like its the end of the world
3:Are you comfortable bringing your kids here
4:can you see a long time relationship with somone that always has a perfect house?
I see a real difference in arriving in a dirty home vrs a lived in home(aka stuff around ). I exspect to see a house is enjoyed!
You'd think family would be the ones who could come over without one having to clean, but there's no way I'd forgo the cleaning if I know my mother or mother-in-law are coming over!
I try to keep the front parts of the house tidy on a regular basis, especially since I have students in and out of here on a daily basis. But beyond that, I think I'm with Alyce for the most part. Am I embarrassed if my husband leaves his socks in the middle of the floor? No. Do I pick them up right away anyhow and make a lighthearted comment about husbands being messy? You bet!
My grandmother had two favorite adages for this issue in particular:
"If you're coming to see the house, make an appointment. If you're coming to see me, come anytime."
So, yes, I do pick up my home when I am expecting company. But if a close friend is stopping by on a whim, I would rather invite her in to the clutter, instead of meeting her in the driveway because my home isn't spotless!
Those who know me well know that I would never win a Good Housekeeping award or the Spotless Homes of Highlands Ranch prize. But, also as my Grams said, "Our home is clean enough to be healthy, and dirty enough to be happy."
4 comments:
Sure...it says, I took the time to prepare for you. When there is a formal invitation, one expects the formal preparation, no matter how well one knows the guests.
Is there a time when you throw out the rules and say, "its not pretty, but come hang out."
I am who i am..........if my house is messy then that says.......i put you above my house....and had you over in spite of a possible public showing that I AM HUMAN.....If a house is perfect then somthing else is suffering for sure....My house is ready for company 100 percent of the time.....u came to see me not my kids toys on the floor,right? I try to always be real.......people will always have there judgements despite how much effort you put into anything......Of course I would strive to have my house clean for company.
Theres possible intimidation on arriving into a spotless home:
1: being afraid if you breathe wrong you will mess it up
2: theres the spill factor.....u should be able to spill and not feel like its the end of the world
3:Are you comfortable bringing your kids here
4:can you see a long time relationship with somone that always has a perfect house?
I see a real difference in arriving in a dirty home vrs a lived in home(aka stuff around ). I exspect to see a house is enjoyed!
You'd think family would be the ones who could come over without one having to clean, but there's no way I'd forgo the cleaning if I know my mother or mother-in-law are coming over!
I try to keep the front parts of the house tidy on a regular basis, especially since I have students in and out of here on a daily basis. But beyond that, I think I'm with Alyce for the most part.
Am I embarrassed if my husband leaves his socks in the middle of the floor? No. Do I pick them up right away anyhow and make a lighthearted comment about husbands being messy? You bet!
My grandmother had two favorite adages for this issue in particular:
"If you're coming to see the house, make an appointment. If you're coming to see me, come anytime."
So, yes, I do pick up my home when I am expecting company. But if a close friend is stopping by on a whim, I would rather invite her in to the clutter, instead of meeting her in the driveway because my home isn't spotless!
Those who know me well know that I would never win a Good Housekeeping award or the Spotless Homes of Highlands Ranch prize. But, also as my Grams said, "Our home is clean enough to be healthy, and dirty enough to be happy."
This, my friends, is my life.
Post a Comment